Monday, January 24, 2011

Green Tea Health Benefits


In a study reported on in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition "research subjects who drank green tea as part of a controlled diet saw an increase in metabolic rate. The authors concluded that 3 or 4 cups of green tea could increase metabolic rate by 4% over 24-hours. That translates into burning an extra 50 to 100 calories a day." ~ Calorie Count and About.com Thyroid Disease.

Nutrition - 11 Benefits of Green Tea : Lowers blood cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, helps bones, reduces inflammation, etc.

Health Effects of Tea

I had stopped drinking the green tea due to its bitterness, but I've read the the higher quality green tea is more potent and tastes sweeter. I'm going to try it again, and I won' t be purchasing the dollar store green tea this time. I drink a few cups of inexpensive black tea everyday, and I think I'll mix it up bit with some fancy green tea.

Update 1/25/11: I ordered Gyokuro Imperial Green Tea from Teavana(Thanks Eva!). I automatically received $4.00 off the order, which was a nice surprise, so my order was about $20.00 including shipping. My birthday is this month; this will be a gift to myself. I'm hard to shop for, so I usually tell my husband that I'll pick out my own gift. He's making me a cake - homemade from the heart.

4 comments:

Eva said...

I sometimes drink green tea, but I only use a quarter teaspoon per cup and let it steep for not more than 2 minutes because I'm very sensitive to caffeine. With this method it doesn't taste bitter! You also have to make sure that you don't use boiling water, but water that has cooled down a bit after having been boiled.

My husband buys our tea at "Special Teas." Unfortunately, they will merge with a different supplier, which will influence their selection.

My parents are black tea drinkers. My husband learned to drink tea at my grandmother's house. She only served tea as a beverage. Now he has a library on different books about tea.

Alexandra said...

Good to know about not using boiling water. I pour it right from the kettle into the cup.

I was thinking about Adagio teas, but I'll look at Special Teas as well.

My favorite tea is the hot tea that they serve at Chinese restaurants. I think it's Oolong tea, but the store brands never seem to taste the same(as good).

Maria said...

I agree with the non boiling water, and also don't let it steep longer than 2 minutes. That will cut down on the bitterness. My favorite is Lipton with orange flavor.

N Abram said...

Thanks for sharing this piece of info; I will try again to drink green tea though i do find it bitter too. Have a blessed week.N