Monday, October 18, 2010

Autumn Nature Art for Young Children

Items from the garden painted with watercolors and pressed onto paper. There is also a crayon leaf rubbing in there as well. Things we tried: flat rocks, acorn tops, oak leaves, clover, a shell, garlic grass, small berries, sticks, and daylily stalks.

A fall nature study: Fall Leaves, free and in public domain. Just right click on the image of the pages at the link. From Type Lessons for Primary Teachers in the Study of Nature, Literature and Art, 1905.

Beauty of Leaves. —The beauty of color and texture combined with the endless variety of leaf forms cannot fail to prove a constant source of wonder and delight to the children during this season of bright, blue weather. Thoreau says, "October is the month of painted leaves. Their rich glow now flashes round the world. As fruit and leaves, and the day itself acquire a bright tint just before they fall, so the year near its setting. October is its sunset sky. November the later twilight."

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I have been intrigued by all your hard work listing these lovely books. Please help me to understand - when I click through the link I am never able to get to any pages of just about every book you list from google. I just get a title page with no links to see the book. Is there something I am missing here? Am I supposed to be a member or? This book here is an example - it shows only a cover and says there are no previews available and a bunch fo links to buy the book. I would really love to peruse some of your excellent discoveries but I cannot! Help?
Kim

Alexandra said...

I checked the link again and it's coming up okay for me. It sounds like you are being blocked from viewing the books. Are you accessing the pages from outside the USA? I think it is blocked in countries that don't recognize the US public domain limits/laws.

Try going to the Google Books main page and searching for the book. If you still are unable to view any public domain additions, then you are being blocked. You can email Google Books to find out why. There are Help links at Google Books.