Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Free Homeschool Curriculum: Vintage Fall/Autumn Nature Study, Literature, and Poetry

Repost from last year:


All are in public domain and are free to read, print, and download.

In the Child's World, K-First, various lessons

Graded Literature Readers, First Grade(Apples)

The Finch First Reader, first quarter of the book covers fall(beautiful illustrations).

Nature Study in Elementary Schools, First Grade Reader

Nature Study in Elementary Schools, Second Grade Reader

The Haliburton Second Grade Reader
, poem

The Art-literature Readers, Third Grade, poem and art

The Goose Quill Third Grade, poetry lesson

Good English, Oral and Written Third Grade
, see Chapter 3 and 4 for fall themes.

Stepping Stones to Literature Third Reader, How The Oak Tree Became King.

The Children's Friend(LDS) Apple story

The Goose Quill
, third grade, entire section on autumn.

Language Through Nature, Literature, and Art(Third grade), nature study and writing assignment

The Story of a Caterpillar (mid-elementary school)

The Cambridge Book of Poetry for Children, Keats - To Autumn; Allingham - Robin Red Breast for younger children.

Farm Arithmetic, Apple word problem (about fifth grade)

The Farmer and His Friends - apples and corn, about fifth grade, very factual

Insect Life, upper elementary

The Stars and Their Stories - The Winged Horse(Autumn constellation), elementary

Poetry of the Seasons, middle elementary and up.

Poems by Grades
, middle elementary and up

Independent Fifth Reader , poem

Nature Study Made Easy, ages 10-11, fifth grade. Select Autumn plant chapters.

The American Normal Readers Fifth Grade, October poem

Sixth Grade Nature Study

Nature Study Lessons for Primary Grades

The Outdoor Handy Book, Autumn ( Classic Boy's Outdoors Book)

Nature in Verse, elementary

A Child's Book of Saints, Golden Apples and Roses Red(Patroness of Gardeners)

Nature Study, by Grades
- see fall work for fourth and fifth grades

Sharp Eyes, A day-by-day nature study(fall), middle school

Eighth Reader, poem

The Fun of Cooking, Jams and Jellies

Peter and Polly in Autumn(late second-third grade reader)
An Evening in Autumn(fourth-fifth grade reader)

All the year round: a nature reader, Autumn(late elementary)


Teacher Helps, Lesson Plans:

How Nature Study Should be Taught(Autumn, elementary)

Nature Study by Months, elementary.

Type Lessons for Primary Teachers in the Study of Nature, Literature and Art for grades One through Four. Fall nature study.

Trees that Every Child Should Know

Home Games and Parties: A Corn Husking and An Apple-Paring Bee


School Arts: Autumn.

Also see Free Thanksgiving Printable Stories.

10 comments:

Marie said...

I have found that in a lot of schools they no longer teach history. This is bizarre! Instead they have replaced it with environmental studies.

Poetry was a favourite with me at school....Love it.

Peace, joy and love to you Alexandra:)

Marie xoxoxo PS: I am feeling MUCH better:) God bless you.

P. said...

Very nice links. Thank you.

Erin said...

This isn't really about this post, but I just wanted you to know how much you have touched my (and therefore my family's as well) life. I have three sons ages 7, 8 & 9. I have always homeschooled them. Until a few months ago, I homeschooled half the week - it was a complicated situation but it worked. A few months ago, without any warning, I had to leave my job and homeschool. While it was I've always wanted, it was still a shock. It also took away every single discretionary penny we had. I know I should be thankful that my husband makes enough to pay all of our bills, and believe me, I am, but to radically change lifestyles in the blink of an eye was a hard thing to do. I found your blog when I started researching some ways that we could save money. Your tips and posts have often brought me hope in some dark times. I am happy to say at this point things have settled into a life that is manageable and wonderful, but there were some days if not weeks when I wondered how we would survive. Thank you for being a beacon of light.

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

Thank you! I'm looking forward to checking some of these out. Am tickled to see some in my kids' age group :)

Alexandra said...

Thanks, wow...I'm glad I could be of help, Bathcake. God bless you. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

Unknown said...

Alexandra,
I always love the freebies you find! I'd love to know how you do it. What are your secrets to finding these things? And can you do a tutorial on using Google books? When I follow your links to the public domain books on Google books, I don't see how to actually get to the book itself. Can you give us some more tips? :-)

Alexandra said...

Jimmie, do you see the sidebar when the link loads? Look to the right sidebar and click on, "About this book". This will navigate you to the main page for the book. Under "About this book" is a Table of Contents button.

At the top of the right hand sidebar is the download button.

At the top of the book link you'll see the Page "Go" button and arrows. This is how you turn the pages.

Just use the sidebar buttons to navigate the book. Click around a bit and you'll get familiar with the set up. These three buttons are all you need to know to get started.

Thanks for your nice comment. :)

Alexandra said...

Oh, and the Table of Contents is clickable.

Gayle said...

Great links. We'll get a lot of use out of these.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Great links! I am so glad to have found your blog--what wonderful resources!