Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Weekly Savings and Deals: One Fail and Two Wins

Dollar General Online Fail:

Through Ebates: 4% off(get later) and $5.00 off and free shipping.

Description: Maxwell House Coffee 
Quantity: 3 @ 5.02
Description: Bausch & Lomb Multi-Purpose 4 ounce(for trips)
Quantity: 3 @ 3.97

Description: Clorox Disinfecting Wipes Citrus 35 count (for pets)
Quantity: 6 @ 1.83

Description: Comet Cleaner Orig w/Bleach 
Quantity: 6 @ 0.91

Description: Stationery Tissue Paper White(15 sheets)
Quantity: 10 @ 0.46

Description: DG Health Ibuprofen soft gel 40
Quantity: 1 @ 4.43
Sub-Total: $52.40
Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $2.35
--------------------------
Order Total: $54.75
Minus my Ebates rebate of $2.60
$52.15
 
The only good deals that I got was the coffee and the Comet. The other deals could be found for the same or slightly less elsewhere. I needed a smaller size of contact lens solution for travel, so I ended up paying more per ounce for the smaller size. Around $4.00 is probably about right for 4 ounces at a discount store. A 12-ounce bottle can be found for about $8.00. The wipes ended up being .05 cents per count, a little more than Amazon with Subscribe and Save at 15%,  or Sam's Club which  prices them at .04 cents a count. The tissue is about the same per sheet at the Dollar Tree. The Ibuprofen is less expensive in pill form and in bottles of 75 to 100, but I don't think I'd use that before it expires, so I'd end up paying more after throwing half of it out. The gel form is easier on the stomach.

You think you're getting a real deal until you look at the numbers closely. I ended up paying a little over $2.00 more for the Clorox wipes. The ibuprofen gelcaps are 10 for $1.00 at the Dolar Tree, so I lost around .30 cents.

I saved a trip to two stores, so that's something. Big Lots sometimes has powder cleanser for less than a dollar. I think I've seen Old Dutch cleanser there for .75 cents or less, but that was a few years ago. I should take a trip there again to see the prices. I had stopped going because the prices were no longer competitive. It's over 6 miles away, another reason I don't go often.

Discounted Gift Card Sucess:

A much better deal was had after I visited Gift Card Granny where I saved $86.00 purchasing discounted gift cards to places where I shop for food and medicine, and restaurants that we frequent as a treat once every few months. Gift Card Granny compares savings across a good number of card discounters. Two of the card discounters are under Swagbucks, so you can get an additional discount by clicking through a Swagbucks link.


Search and Earn Sucess:

Earned a $5.00 gift card from regular searches via Swagbucks when I added them as a browser extension. Today I watched a few videos for Swagbucks points and signed up for something free, and I'm half way to another gift card! Easy.

Clip art source here.


No comments: