Thursday, April 07, 2016

And Then There Was One...

One little girl left to homeschool, and she's taken off with online school, so I'm not left with much to share in the homeschool department.

The fourth grader is working on Khan Academy and Time For Learning for her core homeschool. She does a lot of self directed learning where I help her with books and materials in her spare time.

I'll be signing her up for art class soon, and we've been taking day trips to museums, parks, and historical areas.

For some reason, it's not as exciting with the second child, and even a bit exhausting, but that might be my age. I think I miss the challenge which was invigorating. Homeschooling is old hat now, and the homeschooling community has grown and matured. We are no longer pioneers piecing together creative homeschool curricula and researching learning approaches. What was a homey grassroots endeavor is now big business, and educational materials are much easier to find. The internet has matured over the past 15+ years. Everything you need for school, almost everything, is accessible with a search. There's no longer the need for consulting and brainstorming with other homeschoolers. The ubiquitous tight knit communities have scattered. Those blog communities is what I miss.




3 comments:

Eva said...

That is quite true! I feel a little bit like that, having started with child number 5 now, but I do still have all the other 4 as active students. However, I have also learned over the years and am using what I have learned now. We do not use the computer much for the lower grades and for the higher grades we also try to keep it to a minimum. So I still have to prepare a lot. And there are still new materials I want to try out, so I do have some incentive left. However, the homeschooling community here is kind of like that too. We never were much part of it, somehow we never found "kindred spirits" there. And we are all older and there does not seem to be much new interest in homeschooling, at least around here. But also the online communities have really declined and that is kind of sad. Even the homeschool blogs are not very active anymore. Oh well, that is life I guess.

Alexandra said...

Sorry it took me so long to approve!I began selling on ebay, and it's much busier than Etsy(thankfully).

Eva said...

Good for you!