Friday, November 04, 2011

Non-Traditional Kitchen Designs











It's nearing the time for a completely new kitchen. We did an update about ten years ago, but now the 40 year old cabinets have reached the end of their life. Actually, we could get a little more life out of them with another repaint, but the lowers are not level and the water runs to the back of the counters. For some reason, a kitchen full of wall-to-wall upper and lower cabinets seems like an outdated design and a bit confining to me. I haven't always felt like this, but I'm going to go with a non-traditional approach to re-designing the kitchen, and see where that leaves me. It's a bit of a risk, but I plan to do it on a budget, and we can always add cabinets and counters later.

I leaning toward stainless steel restaurant work tables with no cabinets, and no full size oven or range. We'll use induction range plates and an induction half stove. Here's my Pinterest pin board with the kitchen items I may choose; I'm adding possibilities as I find them.

3 comments:

Myrnie said...

I can't wait to see pictures! That sounds amazing :)

Eva said...

One warning about stainless steel: fingerprints! It's very difficult to keep stainless steel spotless! Even if you are a clean person and keep you kitchen clean. Other than that it can look really great.

Alexandra said...

Yes, it is. The restaurant grade stainless steel is a bit easier to keep clean because of its high polish and thickness. I worked in a kitchen during college, and I remember using a special cleaner on the stainless steel. It will take some getting used to again.