Saturday, August 06, 2011

Opera Browser Reduces Data Usage, Saves Money

I just got a new prepaid broadband 4G wireless plan via T-Mobile. They have caps on data usage; you purchase what you think you'll need for a 30 day period. There are no overage charges, but when you run out, you run out. The service does not continue at reduced speeds like some plans. I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to go with this plan, but by chance I was listening to Clark Howard, the savings guy on HLN who mentioned that the free Opera Browser greatly reduces data usage via the Turbo function and the easy no pictures option on the tool bar. Opera is good for slow connections too. I think it works by filtering the website information through their proxy servers, and then it is sent to you in a split second in a smaller file. I've been using it, and it really has saved me data. Apparently it's the defacto browser choice for Smartphones and other mobile devices.

If you want to extend your browsing when limited by broadband usage caps, Opera is the way to go.

2 comments:

Debbie J said...

I've been trying to figure out ways to save money on internet and cable and currently its through our phone company. But you have to have a land line. I need to research out other options.I need to call my cell phone company to see what's available and what prices. Bundling might not be the cheapest and best way to go. Thanks for the info.

Alexandra said...

Check Clearwire too. They have some good deals, but there is no service in our area yet. It's tricky to find the right match with the prepaid. The only way to see if it will work is to use it for 30 days and find out your GB worth of internet time. T-mobile also had a two year contract that has some pretty good options. I think Sprint has unlimited...or at least that's what I read online. This may have changed.