Friday, February 18, 2011

Our Pet Snails


MyPetSnail.com, a cute site for young children who want to learn more about keeping garden snails as pets.

It was a warm day today, so we ventured out to pick tiny snails from underneath some rocks in the garden for our vivarium. I found this nice glass bowl(our vivarium) at the thrift for a quarter. I ended up cutting out the plastic in the top(pictured), kept the elastic, and attached some cheese cloth. After a few hours, these little snails were making stinky smells. I added some charcoal to the bottom to absorb odors. I lined the bottom with moss from the backyard, and added a pot shard for them to hide under.

To see snails, click to enlarge picture. Two were pretty active in the early evening, exploring the tank, much to the delight of my daughter. I have a feeling we may lose these little guys in the house! Tomorrow I show her a shallow rectangular plastic container which will be their assigned playground when out of their home.

3 comments:

Myrnie said...

What a neat project!

Alexandra said...

And inexpensive! She is really enjoying herself with this project.

Elizabeth said...

I wonder why the snails began to stink? I've never noticed odor from then before, but I've never kept any in a container either.

What ages are your children now?