Friday, May 14, 2010

Homemade Natural Inspect Repellent

It's mid-May and we already have a good number of mosquitoes in the yard. Even though it works very well, I try to avoid insect repellent with DEET. It's just too strong for the children. So, last year I made my own repellent, and it worked very well. I've made it again this year, only with rubbing alcohol and a bit of water as a base instead of expensive vodka(fixative).

From last year's post:
"You can make your own with essential oils added to either oil, vinegar, witch hazel or vodka. To name a few, these essentials oil are known for their natural bug repelling properties: lavender, eucalyptus, citronella, lemon grass, lemon eucalyptus, peppermint, clove oil, rose geranium, cedar, neem oil, and tea tree oil." Read more here.

Update: I just harvested a huge bush of catnip, and I noticed here, it mentions that catnip is an effective mosquito repellent. I'll be trying this as well.

4 comments:

Lily said...

I missed this last year, but I'm going to try it this year. Do you know if it works for ticks too? What about sunscreen, do you use the commercial formulations or do you have one you make?

Sarah said...

I wonder which of these works the best..?
Elizabeth

Alexandra said...

Trial and error...maybe everyone is different - skin chemistry, type and quantity of mosquito? We have mostly Asian tiger mosquitoes in our area.

Alexandra said...

Lily...I made my own sunscreen last year. I got some homemade safer sunscreen from Etsy, and then tried to copy the ingredients. It worked just fine, so we are using it again. I'll repost for you.

Not sure about ticks and homemade inspect repellent. Now you've got me curious... ;)My first thought would be that ticks are so tenacious that even DEET doesn't keep them away from a nice fleshy meal walking by, but I really don't know.

We have to spray our yard every month with organic pyrethrin(Ace Hardware). That stuff works very well - kills fleas too.