Monday, May 17, 2010

Early 20th Century, A Boy's First Haircut

"In the early 20th century, the first haircut usually had a more profound affect on all parties involved than it does today. A hundred years ago, boys and girls were often dressed similarly, and wore their hair similarly in long curls. So the first haircut for a young boy was more than just a haircut…it was their first step towards boyhood." Read more here.
A Victorian tradition, saving a lock of hair. I did this with my daughter's hair(a little curl) after her first hair cut.

Read more about hair history here, at the main page.

3 comments:

Lola said...

Such a sweet painting.

My youngest brother had a head full of perfect curls.
My mother and I cried at his first haircut.

We have the photo of him sitting proudly on the barber booster chair with his big grin.

Thanks for the link.

Now, I'm off to learn some more about hair history!...

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

I love the photo and it makes my eyes full looking at it. Yes, it's heartbreaking when our babies get their first haircut & suddenly turn into little guys. I love getting his haircut now but that first time was too much for me :( Oh, and I kept the first locks cut from both of our children :)

EC Gefroh said...

This brings back memories of my mother saving the first curls of all of her babies.