Sunday, May 17, 2009

Love One and Other, and Remain in Joy


Today's gospel readings on this sixth Sunday of Easter are some of my favorite passages from the Gospel of John:



1 Jn 4:7-10: "Beloved, let us love one another,
because love is of God;
everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.
Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love.
In this way the love of God was revealed to us:
God sent his only Son into the world
so that we might have life through him.
In this is love:
not that we have loved God, but that he loved us
and sent his Son as expiation for our sins."

Jn 15:9-12:

"Jesus said to his disciples:
'As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love.
If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father's commandments
and remain in his love.
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you
and your joy may be complete. This is my commandment:
love one another as I love you.' "

God is love, and we can remain in that love with a deep seated joy. Even when we are irritated or sad, we can always return to this joy, all our negative emotions are like a passing storm.

3 comments:

Myrnie said...

Oh, what a gorgeous picture of Christ! Greg Olsen is one of my favorite Latter-day Saint artists. He has a sweet picture of Christ with a little girl on His knee- his oldest daughter, Karly, was the model for the picture, and they had a copy of it hanging above her bed. One night, mom was tucking the girls in and said to the younger daughter "Jesus loves you!"

"No" she sadly replied. "Jesus loves KARLY" and pointed to the picture. Mom went straight out to Greg- "You go paint another picture right now!He did :)

Alexandra said...

How funny, I had no idea this was a LDS artist! What a coincidence. it is gorgeous...just spoke to me.

Elizabeth G. said...

I love these passages. John is my favorite gospel and favorite book of all.

I didn't know this story that Myrnie shared.

My very fave pic of Jesus is Jesus,The Masterpiece, by Bette Myers. Google it. It has a great story behind it! :) I found it on the Internet.


Blessings,
Elizabeth