Sunday, December 07, 2008

Shell Garlands and Ornaments


I'm still stringing these shells onto twine for a shell garland. I got glitter spray paint for the shells this year. I'm not sure if I like it better or not. I usually use decoupage glue(watered down white glue) to adhere the extra fine glitter onto the shell, and then seal it with clear spray paint. The glitter spray is much lighter than the glue and extra fine glitter. In fact, I can barely notice it, so I put painted a light layer of the decoupage glue onto the shells as an extra adherent in order to get a bit more coverage with the glitter.

These shell garlands are so easy to make. I sit at the kitchen table and drill holes into the shells on a little piece of scrap wood. It's very quick and the results are good as long as you don't press down hard while drilling. I've broken more than one shell pushing down hard while drilling. I even made a pair of shell earrings from some iridescent flat shells. They slid easily on top of a small pair of oval loop earrings, right over the existing hanging stone.

A few of the larger shells ended up as ornaments, especially the large pieces of gray coral and barnacles which where so pretty with gold and iridescent glitter. The coral and barnacles had natural holes for the hangers. They are too difficult for me to drill.

No comments: