Monday, October 27, 2008

On My Bathroom Shelf: All Natural Products

Over the past two years I've rehauled my bath and personal care regime. I was searching for all natural products which were free of preservatives at reasonable prices. Here are my changes:

Toothpaste: I stopped using toothpaste two months ago and substituted Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps: 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap. I also use baking soda a few times a week for teeth whitening.

Facial Cleanser: Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps: 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap. I add baking soda for a pore cleanser at night.

Facial Moisturizer: Virgin Coconut Oil, found in a jar in the vitamin aisle of Wal-Mart.

Shampoo: Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps: 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap. Love it!

Conditioner: Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse Citrus .

Skin Moisturizers: Pure virgin coconut oil in a jar from the Walmart vitamin aisle, or olive oil mixed with a little glycerin and a bit of Burt's Bees baby lotion(sample size), or Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Lotion Lavender Coconut(very light - good for summer or oily skin).

Lips and Hands: Dr. Bronner's Sun Dog's Organic Balm Peppermint. Super! It comes in a metal sliding tin; great for your purse.

Body Fragrance: Rose water, or orange water - water with drops of pure orange essential oil in a spritzer. I tried Heritage brand orange spray, but it was too lightly scented, so now I make my own.

Deodorant: Lafe's Deodorant Spray Lavender, works well if applied twice during the day - morning and evenings. You still sweat, but it does a pretty good job of controlling odor. I wanted to get away from regular antiperspirants where the aluminum is chemically altered into smaller molecules in order to penetrate the skin.

Body Powder: Corn starch(soft powder) and baking soda(deodorizer).

Blemishes and Bug Bites: Witch hazel, vinegar, or grapefruit seed extract(GSE). I've added these ingredients to my body sprays and lotions because they are also good cooling astringents.

Hand/Diaper Wipes: Dr. Bronner's and cloth wipes. I keep a small bottle of water and a mini Dr. Bronner's Organic Pure- Castile Soap Tea Tree in my bag for myself and the children.

Sun Screen: Badger SPF 30 face and body

Bug Repellent: Burt's Bees Insect Repellent - Haven't tried this yet, but I plan purchase.

These changes have worked really well with my skin and hair chemistry. I no longer have to use heavy conditioner on my hair, and my skin is not dry after bathing. I feel much fresher and lighter with these products. Another interesting change was the disappearance of my eye allergies and extremely dry lips which I had for years. Because I use the same product for my hair and body, I no longer have to pin my hair up

Because I use Dr. Bronner's for my hair, teeth and face, it frees up space in my bathroom, another nice benefit. If you buy the very largest bottle, Bronner's will last you a very, very long time. It's meant to be diluted, and I dilute it 50/50 with water, and use an old Soft Soap pump hand dispenser. I use old spice bottles with the sprinkle tops for the corn starch and baking soda.

Another thing I like about Dr. Bronner's is that it is USDA certified organic, something Bronner does voluntarily.

6 comments:

Candlestring said...

The dry lips may have been a result of the fluoride in your old toothpaste. I use Tom's of Maine with fluoride, but I try to remember to put lip balm on *before* I brush and it helps.

Really love your Happy Hearts blogs. Thanks for sharing all the great info.

Alexandra said...

Thanks Miss Stacie!

Elizabeth said...

Alexandra,

Do you go ahead and just buy this online or do you have a store, like Wholefoods, where you shop for it?

Elizabeth

Lola said...

Now I am inspired!

I think I'll be adopting some of your "natural beauty" sense. (I have developed a sensitvity to fragrances the past several years. I gave up perfume when the babies arrived for their sake, and now I can hardly stand to be near perfume!)

I just left a comment on an older Dr. Bronner posting.

I get my Dr. Bronners from their website and free shipping at $20 or more. They also have monthly specials.
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SPECIALS.htm

God Bless!

Alexandra said...

Lola, have you looked at Vitacost's prices? They are much better prices and shipping is under $5.00 on every order. Click through to see the prices on the items I've linked. I'm not an affiliate, but I should be! I love their prices. The variety is not there, but you can pick up some good deals on the liquid soap.

Lola said...

Thank you for the information on Vitacost. The nearest healthfood store is about 20 miles away so I do most of this shopping via web/mail.


God Bless and thanks again for all the good information!