Thursday, September 04, 2008

Going Green with Facial Products


I had mentioned (here) that we are phasing in greener cleaning and personal care products. A little at a time seems to work better for us. This week I experimented with using Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap as a facial wash. I need a daily pore cleanser or I get breakouts, so I added baking soda. So far so good. I use a little 50/50 Bronner's and water on my face, and then sprinkle a little baking soda in my hands, applying it to my face over the soap in a circular motion. This is replacing my all time favorite, Clean & Clear Pore Cleanser(bad for fish) which works great, but is a pricey chemical cocktail. Clean & Clear is not super expensive, but it is pricier than baking soda and diluted Bronner's.

I've been using a 50/50 pure glycerine(available at drugstores or Walmart type stores) and water as a hair mist moisturizer for about a year now. When I switched to Bronner's for my facial wash, I also switched to glycerine as a facial moisturizer. It worked great on my hair, so I figured it was worth a try on my face. It's a bit thick, so I wet my fingers before applying and it smooths on nicely. It's doing the job, and I'm not breaking out. It stays a little sticky, so I've been using it at night only. I still need a sunscreen during the day, so I've been using Olay daily moisturizer for sensitive skin SPF 30.

Beyond being a good steward of the earth, I think much of my need to go more natural has to do with my aging body. As we age, we no longer process things as well; toxins are cleared out more slowly. I'm not even sure if this is true, but I notice that any kind of load, chemical or allergy is not as easy to bounce back from, and I tire more easily. I figure why weigh down my body with more things to clear out. I need all the energy I can get!

Next week I try Bronner's as a toothpaste for a week.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Alexandra,

Where do you get this stuff?

Elizabeth

Alexandra said...

Hi, Elizabeth. I hear Target carries Dr. Bronner's, and most health food stores would have it. You can buy it online, but shipping might be a little high because of the weight. I Goggled it, and there are many places which sell it, including Dr. Bronner's site.

I got my huge bottle online almost two years ago on sale at amazon. It was very inexpensive even with shipping, but I think I got lucky with the price.

I heard Trader Joe's has their own brand of castile soap. Not sure if you have a Trader Joe's near you.

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

My family is doing our best to go green as well. Like you, we've found small steps work the best. That way we don't feel overwhelmed by the all at once huge change.

It feels good to provide more healthy alternatives for my family, I have noticed a change in my overall health, even my skin, and how great is it that all these personally beneficial changes are good for the environment as well!

Thank you for mentioning this product. I'll be checking it out.

Autumn said...

Glycerine mixed with rose water is great as a face moisturiser, adn smells lovely! If you're prone to spots, using witch hazel as a toner helps, or a little tea tree oil :¬)