Thursday, March 29, 2007

Frugal Fridays/Homemade Sausage Biscuits


We had been buying boxes of frozen sausage biscuits for my nine year old son who loves to heat these by himself in the microwave in the morning. They were easy and convenient, but a little expensive, and the ingredients where unwholesome - lots of preservatives, nitrites, etc.
So I made my own sausage biscuits from scratch to freeze, and my son likes them*.


Sausage Biscuits
Mix together into patties:
3 pounds ground pork
2 cups grits or polenta(moistened with 1 cup hot water)
1 chopped and sauteed onion
2 t. sage
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. fennel
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. pepper
a dash of ground cloves and nutmeg
Add a tsp. or two of milk if dry and/or an egg
Fry in oil until no pink is inside, or fry both sides and then bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees just to make sure. Freeze, and when you are ready to eat - microwave for 2 minutes with the biscuits.


Biscuits

Stir together in a bowl:
2 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. shortening, butter or oil
3/4 c. milk
Knead lightly on floured surface for 20 minutes. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness, cup with floured biscuit cutter, or opening of a floured glass.
Bake on ungreased pan for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 16-18. Freeze and microwave.

* The sausage was just a very little bit dry. I'd recommend adding an egg and/or milk if you like a moister sausage. We will be trying this next time.

Click on Frugal Friday image to see more frugal tips.

3 comments:

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Oh, I've done this before (as well as other breakfast foods). They're a bit hit around here!!

Alexandra said...

Thanks for your comment. :) I tried to get him to eat oatmeal, but he loves his sausage biscuits!

Laura said...

I like to do this also, but usually I mix the cooked sausage, crumbled up, into the biscuit dough. Sometimes I add some shredded cheese as well. Yum!